Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A Bit Upset Lately

No, it's not girl troubles like so many guys have (Though those still plague me, Its only because I'm so awesome, no girl can hope to compete with my awesomeness) but rather it's the realization that I can't fulfill my lifelong dream. And while I'm listening to "Dreams" by Van Halen, I'm reminded of Top Gun as I watched it when I was 7 years old. Oddly enough, I watched it last night, too.

But When I was 7, I saw Top Gun. It.... It changed my life, actually. The movie glorified Fighter Jocks, and I have to admit that I loved it. Growing up, I always wanted to buzz the tower just like Maverick in the movie! And I was convinced that one day, I'd be the greatest pilot that ever lived! Until 4th Grade. No, scratch that, It was 8th Grade that my dreams were dashed. Why? Well, in 4th Grade, I ended up having to get glasses. Now I thought nothing of it, and certainly didn't think it would impact my dreams of flying a Fighter Jet into the stratosphere! But in 8th Grade, as I started to approach the age of having to decide what I wanted to do with my life, I was torn between becoming a Teacher and being the Pilot I'd always wanted to be. So I did research. And found out that the Air Force doesn't accept people with Glasses as pilots.

Crushed my dreams. I'd spent all my life, dreaming about banking left to get ahead of the guy in front of me so I could take him out with a quick Sidewinder Missile. All for nothing.


And now, here in 2010, The realization that I'll never be Maverick hit me again. Now, that's not to say that I don't look forward to being a teacher - far from it. But.... it's still my dream, y'know? There's just something appealing, something... MAJESTIC, I should say, about soaring above the clouds in an F22 going five times the speed of sound. It sounds... peaceful, serene. LIke the only thing in existence, the only thing that matters is you and your bird. There's no politics, there's no wars, no famine or disease, just you, the plane, and enough fuel for six hours or so.

And then you get the adrenalin rush of actual combat. Damn, that must be the greatest feeling in the world! And I have to miss out on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment